Skip to main content

Wise One of Japan Chapter Five


 
(Phone ringing)

Patrick answered. "Hello? Mao are you okay? What is going on?"

Patrick. I don’t know what to do. There are chasing me! Oh my God. Shit (crying) What should I do? I don’t know where I am. Please help me."

"Okay, you have to calm down and tell me where you are."

"That’s the point! I don’t know! As soon as the shooting started, I just ran as fast as I could. I didn’t see the name of the station. I just ran!"

" Whoa, slow down, Okay. Where are you now? What do you see around you?"

"Right now, I am in an alley way. I think I am behind a warehouse or something. Oh my God! I can hear them! Please tell me what to do!"

"Okay, you need to find a place to hide, and if possible, try to find something that you can use as a weapon."

"I have a gun."

"Where did you get a gun?"

"This poor man on the train gave it to me."

"Okay, whatever. What kind of gun is it?"

Mao- It’s a 9mm.

"Okay, that is good. Just make sure that the safety is off, if you have to use it."

"I don’t know what that means! Oh shit, I think they are getting closer."

"Look on the side of the weapon next to the trigger, there should be a little button that says safety. Do you see it?"

"Okay, I see it. (Sobbing)"

"Now, find some place to hide."

"Patrick."

"What?"

"They found me."

(In the distance)

"Put your weapon down! Or you will be shot and killed!"

"(Crying) Patrick. There are five of them in front of me."

"I know, I can hear them. Oh, shit."

"Patrick."

"(Crying) Yeah?"

"(Crying) I’m sorry that I didn’t listen to you. Make sure you take care of Mally. Okay? I love you."

"(Crying) Okay. I love you too."

(In the distance)

"This is your last warning! Drop your weapon or we will fire!"

"Sobbing) Patrick."

"Yeah?"

"As long as the safety is off, everything should be fine right?"

"Yeah, everything should be okay."
 
(Pop! Pop! Pop! pop! pop!)

"She’s down! Secure her weapon! We need her alive!"

 

  The only thing Patrick could hear before the phone went dead was the sound of gun fire. He stood there with a blank look on his face in the middle of Manami’s living room. He slowly sat down and stared at the floor, as Manami and Takashi stared at him from across the room. He suddenly remembered that they were there and that he was crying, and quickly wiped the tears from his face in embarrassment. But then, broke down again in tears and attempted to leave the room before Takashi stopped him.

"What the fuck is going on? Where is Mao?" Takashi asked.

"She is dead. They shot her." Patrick answered.

"Oh fuck, what should we do?"

"I need to think and I am kind of freaking out right now, so please give me a couple of minutes, okay? Well, we need to alert the town and gather as much weapons as possible for now."

"Do you think they are coming here?" Manami asked.

"What kind of weapons should I get?"

"Well, I know there are no guns in this town, so our only other choice is archery for right now. Plus of course, swords, axes, anything that is sharp and can do some serious damage. I can’t believe this is happening again."

"Again?"

"Never mind, just do what I tell you. Okay? Manami, to answer your question, yes I think they are coming here. Is there somewhere that you can take Mally? You know some where more secluded."

"Yea, I can take her to my uncles’ house in Odashi. It’s about an hour from here, but I should leave now before it gets dark. The road that takes you there through the mountain side is kind of dangerous." Manami answered.

"Well, I need you to leave for both you and Mally’s safety."

"What do you expect is going to happen?"

"A whole lot of trouble if we don’t get moving, now please get going."

As two Neaitan soldiers went through Mao’s pockets, Landor and his men arrived at the scene, and were greeted by the squad leader that had ordered Mao to be shot down. Landor stood back in amazement as he watched the Neaitan soldiers track bloody foot prints everywhere, in the result of the pool of blood that had formed around the dead body. He couldn’t believe how amateurish these soldiers were acting by not only going against his order to take the prisoner alive but by the amount of ammunition they had used on one human. But when he thought that things couldn’t be any worse, he realized that the blood wasn’t only from the human but from the dead Neaitan soldier that was lying face down in front of him. This one human had managed to kill not one but two of his soldiers in a matter of minutes. This was bad, real bad.

Landors commanders will not be pleased in what had happened today. This act of aggression could lead to an uprising amongst the locals, and this could not take place. Landor knew he had to snuff this problem out quickly, because not only his job and reputation as a great Neaitan commander was at stake, but possibly his own life as well. The Neaitan army did not take failure lightly, so this little outbreak of rebellion had to be wiped out before the days end. But as much as Landor was upset about this little matter, he couldn’t help in admiring this little Japanese woman. This weaker species had killed something so much greater than her.

  Landor was at awe with this because this had been the first time any human had ever fought back. He had never witnessed this act of aggression throughout his journeys on this miserable little planet. But then, this was the first time the Neaitans had ventured into the countryside to collect specimens. These humans were different from the ones the Neaitans usually dealt with in the major metropolises throughout the world.

And since Landor was not only a soldier but a scientist as well, he wanted to study this species more closely. But before he could do anything regarded to science, he had to clean up the mess that lied in front of him.

"What is your name soldier?" Landor asked.

Sergeant First Class Menson sir...

"I see. Well, Sergeant First Class Menson, I have a question for you. What was the order I gave you and your squad in regarding this human?"

"Your order was to take the human alive sir."

"Yes that is correct sergeant. So, please tell me why this human is lying dead in front of me?"

"I apologize sir, but the human had a fire arm sir, and had fatally shot down one of my men sir. There was nothing else we could have done sir."

"Sergeant, are you telling me that you and your men could not control one human that must not weigh more than 110 pounds?"

SFCM- I apologize sir, but like I said there was nothing we could do.

"I see. Sergeant first class Menson, who is this soldier standing behind you?"

"Sergeant Foni sir. He is my assistant sir."

" Okay Sergeant Foni, I have a question for you now."

" Yes sir. You can ask me anything sir."

"That’s good to know sergeant. So, here’s the question. Could you have handled this situation differently?"

"Sir?"

"It’s a simple question Sergeant, but since you seem to be a little confused I will word it differently. If you had been in charge, would you have been able to not only take this human alive, but keep your men alive as well?"

"Yes sir. I honestly believe there would have been a better outcome if I had been in charge sir."

"That’s good to know sergeant."

And by hearing Sergeant Foni’s answer, Landor casually pulled out his side arm, and opened up the back of Sergeant first class Menson’s scull. On a human aspect, this act of violence would be considered shocking, but this was just a normal day at the office in the Neaitan army, and as SFC Mensons’ body slumped to the ground, his replacement graciously accepted his new promotion as squad leader.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flying Mice and Glowing Orbs

As he lied in bed, with his right leg in the air, a childhood memory surfaced.

   He was seven years old at his home in California. It was the beginning of summer, and he had just returned from his towns annual Flower Festival. He was grinning ear to ear with excitement because he had been waiting for this day to arrive for at least three months, and for a child, three months  can seem like a decade, if not more.

  Other than today’s agenda for him, this festival was the only thing to look forward to, if you were a kid in this sleepy town. It had stuff for the grownups to do, which was pretty much escaping your reality at the local bar, but if you were under the age of puberty, you had to rely on your imagination for entertainment, especially if you were the loner type.

  He wasn’t an outcast or anything. He played with the neighborhood kids, but when it came to fun, or what he considered “real fun” he preferred his own company. He figured out that it was best not to invite any one …

Angels and Demons

Okay, let's take a break from my campfire stories and talk about life.

 "What's the meaning?" is one of those age old questions that I have never been to fond of. It's too vague. I prefer, " What's the meaning of your life?" Why are you still here, and, what has kept you alive throughout all of these years?

Me, being a father and a teacher can sum up my existence with three words.
Protect, teach, and inspire.

Pretty simple, right?

But, to do this I have to follow the path that had been designed for me. And this path is filled with twists and turns, and especially alot of dead ends.

And this is where you will run into the two entities that share the title of this post.

If you are a generally good person the angels will get to you first. And of course if you have led a life of douchbaggery, well you know who you are going to end up going to the prom with.

I've crossed paths with strangers, when my life was not soo peachy. They just came up, dropp…

Holding the Title

Brian couldn’t smile anymore.

  Well, let me rephrase that, he could smile, but only during the times he was absent from his companies office. He had been employed by Sheffield and Son ten years prior, and had managed to climb to super star status as lead sales man, but lately, things felt…well…dead. He was bored with his job. And to make it even worse, the new batch of office folk, got under his skin. He didn’t really know why these people annoyed him so much. It could have been that he was over a decade their senior, or maybe because they were just a bunch of paled faced, pencil pushing douche bags, that only trash talked about whom ever wasn’t in front of their computer that day.

More than likely it was both…

And on top of that, he knew his days of glory were eventually going to come to an end.

There would be a new hero, and what he saw these days, he wasn’t impressed. He couldn’t come to grips with being replaced with this new generation. Someone that was just mediocre. Someone that…