Skip to main content

The Punk Years....Part One




In the beginning....

   When I was fourteen years old my sister Maryanne gave me a Misfits cassette for my birthday. “You will like this!” She said with excitement. And she was right because as soon as the first track concluded, I was a fan, but, I wasn’t ready to give my life to this music just yet. I liked it but I liked a number of other genres of music as well. My friends though were different. They were hooked. These maniacs that had pledged their allegiance to the metal gods had laid down their arms and replaced their angst with anarchy patches and mohawks. You couldn’t really blame them though because this was the late eighties when glam metal was ruling the charts, so when they came to that fork in the road of either slam pits or whatever crap MTV was churning out, three chords and a monkey beat just seemed the wiser choice.
Punk rock had seemed to blow up overnight in my home town. Bands were formed and backyard concerts were held on the regular. It was a great time, but, just like everything else it came to an end. People graduated, moved away, and got on with their lives, but the few that remained kept the fire burning. And though Father Time was chewing them up and spitting them out, they refused to give up….and grow up like the rest of us.

Whatever that means?

   I was twenty five when I got the call. I had been living in Los Angeles off and on for the last four years, and ever since my stint in the military had ended, I was on a quest. I wanted a band. Honestly, I had always been more into metal and rap music, and since bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Infectious Grooves were gaining fame, now was the time to act.

(Phone rings)
 Me- Hello.
 Jerry- Hey! What’s up? I was calling about the singer ad you posted in the Music Connection.
 Me- Cool. Thanks for calling. You guys are into funk and metal, right?
 Jerry- No, we actually we are a punk band.
 Me- Punk band? Not, a funk band?
 Jerry- Nope, we play punk rock. The Music Connection probably made a mistake.
 Do you like punk? If so, you are more than welcome to come down and try out.
 Me- Sure….fuck it…when and where?

  A week later, I met these metal dudes at a whare house in Canoga Park. Since punk had become popular again, thanks to Green Day, they wanted to cash in on this franchise. Their mentor was the late Jim Cherry of Strung out, and because of this, the “band” sounded pretty much like whatever was making money on Fat Wreck Chords. I think Jim new that this project wasn’t going anywhere because the first day that I met him, he invited me to go on a Fat Burger run….
Jim- So dude, do you like this band? Because I think you are a really good fit for it.
 Me- What do you mean?
 Jim- What I mean is that if you want this band to prosper, you need to become the leader. These guys are idiots, but you, you get it…Pat.
 Me- Um…okay? Can you buy me a burger?
 Jim- (rolls his eyes)
But, after day five of band practice, I called it quits. For one, Canoga Park was just too far away to sit in a stinky rehearsal room and watch my band mates get high, and two, I had to ride the bus to this place, which meant getting home at three in the morning and then wake up three hours later for work…taxing.

  I kept in contact with the guitar player though, who went by the name of Scott. He was a big fan of Lagwagon, as well as Snickers and Coke (cheap shot…I know), and still wasn’t ready to give up on the dream just yet.

To be continued....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surfer Girl

She was a surfer girl... Living in a white trash world
With a mix of crips and Lompoc locos
I was a metal head
Surviving in the land of the dead
Washing dishes at the neighborhood Cocos


 Upper echelons and Friday night drink o thons...
Was her life in this little Cali town
Head Banger Ball sing o longs
Skipping classes and loading bongs
Was what kept me in the down and out

The first time I seen her
I wanted to do something obscene with her
But my lack of confidence shut me up
She sat at the front of the class
Blonde, blue eyed and full of sass
She had nothing to do with a fourteen year old pimple faced pup


And as the days passed, I would just dream of her thies
And that bottom crack of her ass, which was always a nice surprise
When walking in late for class
She would pass me by
That smile on her face
Would make me fantasize, it was for me

But it wasn't....
The surfer girl had a skeleton in her closet
When I saw " I love Tom " on her book, I nearly lost it
My friends told me I'd better pause …

Flying Mice and Glowing Orbs

As he lied in bed, with his right leg in the air, a childhood memory surfaced.

   He was seven years old at his home in California. It was the beginning of summer, and he had just returned from his towns annual Flower Festival. He was grinning ear to ear with excitement because he had been waiting for this day to arrive for at least three months, and for a child, three months  can seem like a decade, if not more.

  Other than today’s agenda for him, this festival was the only thing to look forward to, if you were a kid in this sleepy town. It had stuff for the grownups to do, which was pretty much escaping your reality at the local bar, but if you were under the age of puberty, you had to rely on your imagination for entertainment, especially if you were the loner type.

  He wasn’t an outcast or anything. He played with the neighborhood kids, but when it came to fun, or what he considered “real fun” he preferred his own company. He figured out that it was best not to invite any one …

Angels and Demons

Okay, let's take a break from my campfire stories and talk about life.

 "What's the meaning?" is one of those age old questions that I have never been to fond of. It's too vague. I prefer, " What's the meaning of your life?" Why are you still here, and, what has kept you alive throughout all of these years?

Me, being a father and a teacher can sum up my existence with three words.
Protect, teach, and inspire.

Pretty simple, right?

But, to do this I have to follow the path that had been designed for me. And this path is filled with twists and turns, and especially alot of dead ends.

And this is where you will run into the two entities that share the title of this post.

If you are a generally good person the angels will get to you first. And of course if you have led a life of douchbaggery, well you know who you are going to end up going to the prom with.

I've crossed paths with strangers, when my life was not soo peachy. They just came up, dropp…